I am so glad to be back at school. Thank you for your help in making the first week of school a smooth transition for the students and myself. I am very impressed with the progress I saw in just four days.
A few reminders for this week:
- Please return the B.E.E. folder EVERY day with your 1st grader. Please initial the calendar inside the folder and assist your 1st grader in completing the nightly homework. The folders are very durable and should last the school year.
- We have PE. on Wednesdays and Fridays and Spanish on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please have your child wear/bring gym shoes on PE days.
- If you have not returned the school forms, such as lunch, emergency, etc., please do so as soon as possible. Please complete the lunch form even if your child does not eat school lunch. School lunch is free for all students this year.
- We will make time for a daily snack in the afternoon. Please send enough snack for 25 students. Please send healthy, nut-free snacks.
- Free breakfast is served in the lunchroom from 8:20-8:40 am. Please enter through the southern most glass doors off Kimbark.
- Please remember to meet your child on our class number at dismissal time to avoid congestion around the school doors. Please remind your child to say good-bye before leaving ☺. I will walk the students out beginning at 3:40 pm. Any students who remain at 3:45 pm will be escorted to wall by the exit doors to wait with support staff.
- We are not using supply boxes this year in the classroom. All of our supplies will be communal. This is helpful in reinforcing sharing and caring of the materials and also insures that everyone has what they need each day.
- Children are permitted to have “pop top” water bottles at school. Feel free to send water with your child.
- If you are interested in volunteering in the school and/or on field trips, you must fill out a volunteer packet from the main office. I will have a sign up sheet at Open House.
- Open House is scheduled for this Thursday from 4-6pm. Feel free to drop into the classroom from 4-5pm and join Principal Thole in the auditorium from 5-6pm for the State of the School presentation.
This week we will continue to reinforce routines and procedures with daily practice. I will be using several word lists to begin to determine each student’s current reading level. The levels will assist in grouping the students for guided reading. This week I will also start to introduce the Reading Workshop by allowing students to practice read to self and read to someone. This week we will read a collection of books about friendship and being unique. We will read the books “How to Lose All Your Friends”, “A Bargain for Frances”, and “A Bad Case of the Stripes”. In Phonics we will work on recognizing rhymes, building words using the alphabet chart, hearing sounds in sequence and saying words slowly to predict letter sequence. We will focus on the short sound of /a/. We will start Writing Workshop. We will work on telling the stories of our lives using illustrations. I will assess students’ spelling using a spelling inventory.
In math we will learn several new games that focus on number order and comparing numbers. We will learn about tally marks and use dice to investigate equally likely outcomes. We will continue to use the math tools, including slates, pattern templates, pennies and dice.
Have a great week!
|Monday, 9/11||Tuesday, 9/12||Wednesday, 9/13||Thursday, 9/14||Friday, 9/15|
Warrior Wednesday! Wear Green!
Friday Letter Notebooks
( Please write back)