Here you will find each week the home assignments (www.ray.cps.k12.il.us-> about ->teachers). These will also be sent home ion a hard copy with your child each Monday. Please be sure to go over home assignments with your second grader every day. These assignments are not designed to be completed independently. The routine will help to build structure in the student’s afternoon, provide additional practice on skills we cover in class and allow child and adult to celebrate growth together.
Here is how it works:
- Read together every day for a minimum 15 minute
- Practice the sight word list with games* and write-rewrite activities**
- A “Writing Application” project will last all 5 days of the week Monday: Plan (choose from the 2 topics provided) Tuesday Draft, Wednesday revise (make it better) Thursday edit (check for errors) Friday publish (turn it in to the teacher)
- A math sheet (Most of the time from the math curriculum we use, sometimes a supplemental sheet)
* Sight word games may include flash cards, memory game, hide and seek, etc. See the teacher if you have questions ** Write rewrite includes drawing the words with crayon, making flash cards for games, painting with water colors…anything that helps the repetition
Assignments for week of September 12 through 16
Reading log printed on the back of this sheet
Sight words: bring, comes, do, family, like, make, those, use, with, of
Writing Application: Note parents may “share the pen” if needed as we start the year and turn it over to more independent writing as we progress.
Choice 1: An Invitation
Pretend you are having a costume party. Write an invitation. Tell the time and place.
Choice 2: Work Wear
What would you like to be when you grow up? Pretend you could have any job in the world. Write about your job and the clothes you would need to wear for it. Then draw a picture of yourself in your work clothes.