September 3, 2015
WELCOME TO Room 214!!
I am very excited about this school year! I am sure that your child’s experiences in 2nd grade will be a year filled with learning and fun! I hope that the following information is helpful as we start the 2015/16 school year. I would like to point out that your child is joining an amazing group of very friendly and helpful students. I am confident that they will adjust easily with our help.
Each student will have a folder designated as their “Take-Home folder.” All important papers will be sent home in this folder every night. Please check it every night. This folder is an essential part of our communication so it must also return to school every morning.
Homework will consist of:
- A Math Home Link (to be done together as a review of lessons taught in class –note these will not follow the chronologic order printed in the corner of each assignment)
- Sight word study (for fluency improvement) Students are expected to be able to read these words on sight, not necessarily spell them correctly.
- Vocabulary study—second grade only (Students are expected to be able to understand the meaning of these words)
- A writing application (each day a step of the writing process)
- Reading a minimum of 15 minutes a day (including weekends)
Homework is not planned to last longer than 60 minutes, and is not intended to be completed independently. Please supervise all homework activity and make it a part of the home routine.
This year the school fees for all students in grades K–6 is $85.00. This fee does not include field trips. School fees should be paid as soon as possible. Please see me if there is an obstacle in paying the fee.
Please consider contributing to the daily snack stash we keep in the classroom. When shopping think about throwing an extra box of crackers or chips into your cart.
We love celebrations, however we plan to honor all of the birthdays in a given month on the last Friday of each month. Store bought treats only, as per health regulations please. Also, we encourage healthy birthday treats such as fruit and cool whip rather than cupcakes with frosting.
We have planned some field experiences for our students this year and these trips are aligned with the curriculum. Trips are a required part of the school experience. The fees for these are NOT covered in the school fee. Please pay close attention to fee due dates.
All money sent to school should be placed in a clearly marked envelope with the child’s name, room #, and purpose for the money. Receipts will be written for amounts over $20.